DUNEDIN, Florida – Each year, “Dr. Beach” takes a close look at beaches across the country and ranks each one. For 2021, Caladesi Island State Park again ranks in the top 10.
According to him, two of the best beaches are in Florida: Caladesi at # 7 and St. George Island State Park in the Panhandle at # 4. Last year Caladesi came in sixth place. In 2019, he was in seventh place.
“The white beach is composed of crystalline quartz sand which is soft and mellow at the water’s edge, inviting to bathe in the clear and sparkling waters”, wrote Dr Beach.
In 2017, Sarasota’s Siesta Beach was ranked # 1. This year’s first place went to Hapuna Beach State Park in Hawaii.
Some of the other best beaches include two on the Outer Banks of North Carolina: Ocracoke Lifeguarded Beach and Lighthouse Beach.
Dr Beach, real name Dr Stephen Leatherman, is a professor at Florida International University. For over 25 years, he has reviewed, rated and rated beaches and coastal areas around the world.
Each year, it publishes a list of the 10 best beaches in America. He judges each according to 50 criteria such as the average water temperature and the softness of the sand. Leatherman says he gives bonus points for beaches where smoking is prohibited and which are staffed with lifeguards.
“Beaches aren’t big giant ashtrays, and that’s what some people use them for, which is really gross,” Leatherman said.
Here is the full list of the 10 best beaches of 2021:
- Hapuna Beach State Park, Big Island of Hawaii
- Coopers Beach, Southampton, New York
- Ocracoke Supervised Beach, North Carolina Outer Banks
- St. Georgia Island State Park, Florida Panhandle
- Lighthouse Beach, Buxton, Outer Banks of North Carolina
- Duke Kahanamoku Beach, Oahu, Hawaii
- Caladesi Island State Park, Dunedin / Clearwater, Florida
- Coronado Beach, San Diego, California
- Beachwalker Park, Kiawah Island, South Carolina
- Coast Guard Beach, Cape Code, Massachusetts