PINELLAS COUNTY, Fla. — The doctor has spoken and released his list of the top 10 beaches for 2022.
Florida International University professor Dr. Stephen Leatherman, aka Dr. Beach, has been compiling these rankings for more than three decades.
He chooses the tracks that make up his list by evaluate 50 different categorieswhich include sand softness, water temperature, red tide, amenities and noise.
For 2022, Dr. Beach has rated Ocracoke Lifeguard Beach, near North Carolina’s Outer Banks, as the best beach in America.
For a second year, only two Florida beaches made Dr. Beach’s list, including Tampa Bay’s Caladesi Island State Park.
Dr. Beach’s description of Caladesi Island State Park said, “Caladesi is accessible by pedestrian ferry, private boats, or a long walk north of Clearwater Beach; the entrance is closed, so Caladesi is no longer a real island, but still a great getaway. The white beach is made up of crystal clear quartz sand, soft and fluffy at the water’s edge, inviting bathing in the sparkling clear waters. There are walking trails, but my favorite are the kayaking and hiking trails. canoe through the mangroves to see the great blue herons and other birds that frequent this beautiful natural area.
Here is the list of Dr Beach’s Top 10 Beaches for 2022:
1. Ocracoke Lifeguarded Beach, Outer Banks of North Carolina
2. Caladesi Island State Park, Dunedin/Clearwater, Florida
3. Cooper’s Beach, Southampton, New York
4. St. George Island State Park, Florida Panhandle
5. Duke Kahanamoku Beach, Oahu, Hawaii
6. Lighthouse Beach, Buxton, Outer Banks of North Carolina
7. Coronado Beach, San Diego, CA
8. Wailea Beach, Maui, Hawaii
9. Beachwalker Park, Kiawah Island, SC
10. Coast Guard Beach, Cape Cod, Massachusetts
“In addition to his annual ranking of America’s Best Beaches, he works tirelessly to raise awareness of the dangers of rip currents and to promote beach smoking bans,” his website States.