Boards may have time to move on to the new national loose camping rules
The rules of freedom camping in Marlborough could come under the microscope again, for the fifth time in 15 years.
Marlborough District Council may need to make “changes” to its new freedom camping bylaw, launched last December, if the government sticks to its plan to impose national rules.
National regulations, currently open to feedback, propose to ban vehicles without certified toilets on free-standing camping; or propose to make it compulsory for campers without certified toilets in vehicles to stay on sites with toilets.
The potential impacts of the proposed rules were discussed at a consultation meeting in Picton last week, attended by more than 100 people, half of whom had camped for freedom.
* Advice faced with a legal challenge to the rules of free camping
* The caravanners fear the regional regulation of the “ end of the freedom of camping as we know it ”
* Freedom camping regulations will be revised for the fourth time in Marlborough
Speaking after the meeting, Danielle McKenzie, the ministry’s tourism and knowledge system manager, pointed out that no decision had been made on what the transition period would look like, how long it would last or what it would be like. would cost.
“We are specifically asking for comments from the public, industry and advice on what the transitional provisions [for the proposed rules] should be, ”she said.
Parliament would ultimately decide what was in place.
Council chief executive Mark Wheeler said the proposals could trigger minor changes to the region’s regulations, which the council could build on when considering “other changes.”
Changing a bylaw that had “significant interest” or repercussions required public feedback, according to the Local Government Act, which Wheeler called “difficult.”
But the government could make it easier for boards to change freedom camping regulations, for example by not requiring boards to go through the regulations process.
“We are aware of the transition proposal. This is something we have to consider. But we are still getting around it.
The board would submit the proposals this week.
Wheeler said the board has yet to determine whether the proposed new rules will impact his possible lawsuit with the New Zealand Motor Caravan Association.
The association said the council’s decision to shut down eight of its Freedom Campsites and have vehicles at its other five sites be self-sufficient was “unreasonable.”
It was the fourth time that the region’s regulations had been redone. Councilors have promised changes following a wave of submissions against Freedom Camping in its annual plan.
Marlborough and Nelson are some of the only areas that require RVs to be autonomous. The government was seeking to broaden this scope to include all regions and to tighten self-checking certifications.
He also hoped to create an autonomous vehicle registry.
Those who did not play by the rules could face fines of up to $ 1,000 – instead of $ 200 – or have their vehicle confiscated. Fines could be passed between vehicle owners and rental companies would be required to collect fines from visitors.
The government hoped the new rules would better protect the environment, remove the “burden” of free camping on locals and improve the quality of tourism in New Zealand.
For more information or to make a quote, visit www.mbie.govt.nz/freedom-camping-consultation.
The public has until May 16 to submit their comments.
Do you have a consulting story that we don’t know about? Then email reporter Chloe Ranford at [email protected]